The history of the zoological garden in Warsaw dates back to the 17th century, when menageries open to the public were situated in this locality. The current Warsaw Zoo was opened in 1928. At that time it occupied 12 hectares and it became home to some 500 animals.
Between 1930 and 1939 the zoo was greatly developing and exotic animals were brought. In 1937 the zoo celebrated a great success - an Indian elephant was born. It is allegedly the only zoological garden in Poland with the success of this kind. In 1939 the Warsaw Zoo was extended to 32 hectares and it became one of the largest zoological gardens in Europe of that period. During the Second World War the Warsaw Zoo was bombed and several animals were killed. After the war, in 1946, the zoo was restored. At that period there were 150 animals.
The today´s Warsaw Zoo occupies 40 hectares and it is proud of 5000 animals (500 species) . The animals are divided in several expositions. There are fast food restaurants, a children train and also another big attraction for children - the zoo lesson: the children can learn more about the life of the animals. The Warsaw Zoo is open daily. The statistic data speak about 600,000 visitors every year.