|Cathedral of the Ascension of the Virgin Mary||33km|
Stutthof concentration camp was built in order to displace the Jewish intelligence in Poland . Since 1936 the Nazis collected information of Jews living in Poland and prepared a list of those who were the most active in the politic life, were rich or were otherwise uncomfortable for this totalitarian regime. In 1939, the Stutthof concentration camp was opened and right in the first few days over 1,500 Jews were transported here from the whole Poland. It was originally meant to be a small camp for 3,000 prisoners. But like in other camps, the amount of new-coming prisoners was immense and unbearable, so the camp was gradually enlarged into a complex of 40 camps with a total capacity of 60,000 people. Around 110,000 people went through this camp and more than a half of them died of torture, hard work or in a gas chamber. Stutthof concentration camp was finally liberated by the Allies on May 9, 1944.