Tourist information and destination rating
Local time: 22:20:07
The Saint Marguerite Island is the largest island of the archipelago Lérins. It lies about 500 m from the coast of the French
Riviera, at the city of Cannes
. It is approximately 3 km long and 900 m wide. The Saint Marguerite Island is known for its fort with a prison. It had already been inhabited during the Roman times. Monk from the order of Saint-Honorat had lived here for many years. In 1612, the Saint Marguerite Island became a property of Duke of Chevreuse, who built here a fort. The Spaniards occupied the island in 1635. Two years later, the French conquered it again. From that time on, barracks and a prison stood on the island. In those times, the fortress was a home to a number of famous and feared prisoners. It had served its purpose till the 20th century. Today, there is a Prison Museum, a Maritime Museum and a hostel on the Saint Marguerite Island. You can get to the island by a regular boat line.
Information and Facts
Last update: Nov 10, 2012 12:51:41 PM