|Barbican and City´s Fortification Walls||Castles||0.4km|
Royal Castle was founded in the 13th century by the Mazovian Prince Boleslav II. It was originally built as a wooden defense castle. First , it was remodelled in the Gothic style, then later in the late 16th century it was rebuilt in the Renaissance style. The decision to build the Royal Castle was made in 1596 when Sigismund III. Vasa proclaimed Warsaw the capital city of the state. Royal Castle was remodeled several times since then. Baroque reconstruction was carried out between 1598 and 1619 . The project was designed by Italian architects Giovanni Trevano, Giacomo Rodondo and Matteo Castelli . Late Baroque façade facing the Vistula River comes from the period of August III. Spectacular interiors were created under the rule of Stanislaus August. Royal Castle was completely destroyed by the Nazis during the Second World War but extensive reconstruction, carried out during the period 1971 - 1988 restored the original appearance.
The most important parts of the castle are located on the 1st floor - the Dance Hall, the Marble Hall, the Throne-Canalett´s Hall, the Knight Hall, the Prince's rooms, etc. Above the main entrance to Royal Castle, there is a 60m-high Sigismund´s tower (it was built in 1619) . It is called the Clock Tower. The clocks was installed in the tower in 1622.