The cliffy hill, where the monastery is situated today, was discovered by a group of monks, who were fleeing the Kiev monastery from Mongolian raiders in 1240. The initially small community was growing bigger and the cave chapels were put together to make more spacious halls and elevated churches. Nowadays, pilgrims come there to see the icon of the Pochayiv Mother of God, a gift from the Greek Church to the noblewoman Anna Hojska in 1559. This lady discovered the healing power of the sacred icon when her brother recovered after having prayed to the icon. Later the noblewoman gave it to the local monks with the land and money. Another sacred relic is the print of Virgin Mary in a rock, from which a sacred spring runs. The print has been there since Virgin Mary supposedly revealed to a local monk and herdsman. Afterwards, a medieval church of the Assumption of the Most Holy Mother of God was erected on the hill. The construction comprises mostly Baroque elements from the 17th century and features of the Roman style from the times when it belonged to the Greek Catholic Church. The Russian Orthodox Church hasn´t obtained the monastery until 1831. Then it had two buldings constructed: a 65-meter tall bell tower with 12 bells on the third floor and the Holy Trinity Cathedral built in the ancient Russian manner.