|Dockland Light Railway||1km|
|City of London||1km|
|Old Palace Yard||1km|
In the year of 1819, two main shopping streets, Piccadilly Street and Regent Street, were connected into a circular shape. Shaftesbury Avenue, Coventry Street and Glasshouse Street also quite naturally lead into Piccadilly Circus, too. It kept its elegance with houses with decorated facades for some time. In the year of 1910, the first advertisement was lit in Piccadilly Circus. Then advertisements spread to all of the buildings but since 1923, they can be placed on one of them only.
Advertisements and a statue of god Eros are typical for Piccadilly Circus. In the year of 1893, the Shaftesbury Memorial Fountain was built in the centre of the crossroads. It has a statue of a winged Angel of Mercy. It looks so much like the god of love, Eros, that he is called this way instead. The fountain was built to commemorate a famous Victorian politic lord Anthony Ashley Cooper, the count of Shaftesbury. Later the fountain was moved to the side of the crossroads from its centre.