Olbersdorfer Lake used to be a lignite mine. Mining activities began in 1908. In 1990 the mine was closed, and a year later, in 1991, reclamation activites were commenced. In 1999, flooding with water began. Shortly after, in 2000, Olbersdorfer Lake was made available to the public. The lake occupies 60 hectares. Its maximum depth is 40 m. Olbersdorfer Lake is supplied with water from the Grundbach stream. The beaches (300 m) are sandy or grassy. The lake premises offer a variety of activities, such as beach volleyball, a ride on a coal-cutter train, attractions for children, and many others. Fast food restaurants, toilets and accommodation facilities are at the campsite or in the Hotel Haus am See. Olbersdorfer Lake is recommendable both for swimming and windsufing, and for boat rides and fishing, too. The area around Olbersdorfer Lake is good for hiking and cycling - there are numerous hiking and cycling marked trails.