The Mezöhegyes Stud Farm is a historically protected building. It was built on the order by the Emperor Joseph II in 1784, on the proposal of a young nobleman József Csekonicse. The Imperial and Royal Institute for Horse Breeding was built at the Mezöhegyes estate. The stud buildings were built according to plans designed by well-known architects from Pest.
The Mezöhegyes Stud Farm is known for breeding three types of horses, descendants of the original breed - the Nonius, the Mezöhegyes sport horse and the Traber. The representative premises of of the stud farm include the riding hall with arched colonnade-like stables. It is the oldest functioning riding hall in Hungary.
In the Mezöhegyes Stud Farm complex, you can visit the museum of carriages. The museum presents carriages, cabs and horse-drawn sleighs. There is a baroque building of the original representative barracks, now a hotel.
The Mezöhegyes Stud Farm organizes horse shows in the local riding halls. The visitors to the Mezöhegyes Stud Farm may enjoy the riding and hunting programs. In addition to the tour of the Mezöhegyes Stud Farm, tourists can visit the main horse stables and they may ride on the horseback or in the carriage. International horse races take place there during the summer season. Fore more info, please refer to the official website.