Lubjanka is an impressive Baroque building. It was founded in 1898 as the headquarters of a Russian insurance company. After the October Revolution it became the residence of the first Soviet secret police called Cheka, whose role was to suppress political opposition - through mass arrests, detentions and executions of the "class enemies of the nation." The Cheka and a part of the state security of the Red Army arrested, imprisoned, or exiled to Siberia and then executed thousands of people without having any evidence of any planned uprising against the communist regime. All the cruelty was coming from Lenin's and Trotsky's orders. The Cheka was later renamed the GPU, OGPU, NKVD, MVD and MGB. The last name of this institution was the KGB. Lubjanka was extended twice its original size during the political repression and persecutions in the Soviet Union. In 1942 another floor was added. However, it was necessary to move the headquarters of the KGB into a new building in the southwest of Moscow in 1972 anyway. In the cellars of the prison Lubjanka, there was an extensive network of prison cells and interrogation rooms. From 1920 to 1991, hundreds of thousands of people were tortured there . Many prisoners committed suicide or were executed without any trial. The prison was fully functional until 1991. Although the Soviet secret police had changed its name several times, Lubjanka had always been its headquarters. After the demise of the KGB, Lubjanka became the seat of the Federal Security Service and the Border Service of Russia. The building has recently become the KGB Museum. A monument to commemorate the victims of Stalin repressions was installed opposite Lubjanka in 1990.