The entry into the Lost River Caverns was created by accident in 1883, while mining limestone in the nearby mine. Today, the caverns that have been preserved in perfect state are a popular tourist attraction and many tourists come there to admire the stalactites, stalagmites and other crystal formations (some of them even luminesce) . The mysteriousness of the caverns is given by the creek that flows through them. It has not yet been discovered from where the water, which turns out in the caverns and disappears the next moment, comes from. The caverns have been opened to public since 1930 but they had been used even before, e.g. as a dance hall or a hiding place for alcohol smugglers during the prohibition. In 1949, one of the caverns was consecrated as a chapel and became a popular place for weddings. The stable temperature in the caverns is 11 degrees and photographing is allowed there. You can also visit the near Gilman Museum with a collection of minerals, fossils and antique weapons, or the souvenir shop.