Krakow Ghetto was created by Nazi Germany for Jews living in Kraków. Most of them lived in the Kazimierz quarter but the ghetto was built in Podgórz. All Jews living in Kraków had to move there until March 20, 1941. Krakow Ghetto covered a territory of only 20 hectares and included 15 streets and 320 houses. The ghetto was originally fenced with a barbed wire and later a wall was built from Jewish gravestones. The amount of people rose quickly in the ghetto. Around 3,000 people lived here before but this number was multiplied by five now. One person had a space of 2 m². All the windows with the view of the ‘Aryan’ part of the city had to be bricked in. There were four gates to the ghetto, from the Zgody Square (called Plac Bohaterów Getta today) , Lwowska street, Limanowskiego street and at a place called Rynek Podgórski. The ghetto was closed on October 15, 1941. Jews could enter the rest of the city only with a special permit. From May 30, 1941 onward, the deportations to concentration camps began, first to the camp in Bełżec , then Płaszów . Jews were officialy told they are deported to Ukraine to work. The ghetto was later divided into two parts, part A was where employable people lived, part B belonged to children, elderly and ill. Going from one part to another required also a permit. This order was especially fierce because the permit was very difficult to obtain. In mid-March 1943, the final deportation of Jews to Płaszów labor camp was organised. Around 2,000 people were killed by the Nazis right in the ghetto and remaining Jews were sent to Auschwitz. 65,000 of Jews were in Krakow Ghetto at some point. A mere thousand survived the war.
Little was preserved from the Ghetto until today. Krakow Ghetto was destroyed by the Nazis in 1943. Remains of the border wall were preserved in the streets of Lwowska and Limanowskiego. Also some houses remained, but they are no different to other Krakowian houses from this period. Apteka Pod Orlem on the Bohaterow Getta Square used to be and still is a very significant place. This pharmacy was ran by a Polish man who tried to help Jews in the ghetto. This house became a symbol of the Polish protest and a museum of Krakowian holocaust resides there today. This little museum is a part of the Krakowian Historical Museum (Muzeum Historyczne Miasta Krakowa) . It is open daily except for Sundays and the first Tuesdays of the month. On Monday, the entry is free. The whole Bohaterow Getta Square turned into a big monument reminding the victims of the ghetto. There are big bronze chairs all over the square.