The history of the basilica goes back to the beginning of the 14th century but the exact date is unknown. Until the 16th century, it was constantly being extended and adorned. From the 14th century, Kolobrzeg Basilica was a collegiate church but it became a Lutheran and Evangelic church in the 16th century. From the 17th to the 20th century, the historical building was repeatedly damaged as the result of wars, but the worst deterioration came during the Second World War. In 1945, it was heavily damaged. When the Second World War was over, there was an intention to pull it down but, fortunately, it was fully reconstructed in 1957.
The Kolobrzeg Basilica makes an unusual impression due to two huge, connected towers that spread over the whole length of the building. Another characteristic feature is its irregularly placed windows in the façade, which seem as if from the Middle Ages. Inside the monument, there are five naves, and the walls are decorated with original frescos. The unusual inclined pillars from the 16th century on the right side of the nave are another dominant feature. You can also admire three original triptychs, a bronze baptistery, and a rare candelabrum for seven candles, glyphic pews or a wooden candelabrum. All these come from the gothic era.
The Kolobrzeg Basilica is open all year round, usually from 7 am to 7 pm. For more information, call 0-94 35 261 50. Further information is available on the official website of the Kolobrzeg Basilica.