Kessel Castle is a typical fortified castle. It is situated at the left bank of the Maas River. The castle used to be a wooden fortress that stood there from the 10th century. By the year 1100, a round stone building replaced the former one. At that time it belonged to the Count of Kessel. Between the years 1150 – 1200, the Count Hendrik II began with the construction of an oval bulwark. The entrance gate was between two small towers in the northside. In the year 1250, a residential building was built inside of the fortified area in the northside, too, so the new gate was moved to the East. The last Count of Kessel, Hendrik V, sold the Kessel Castle in 1279 to the Count of Geldre along with all rights. During the 80 Years’ War the castle was damaged by fires but it was renovated and rebuilt in the 17th century. It was inherited by the Keverberg family in 1798 and later became a property of the Van Merwijcks. In 1875 the Congregation of Sisters of Providence used this castle as a convent and girl boarding school. The last renovation took place in 1927 but the castle suffered cannonades by the German during World War II and was burnt down completely. Since then the castle is a ruin. The well-known Dutch professor J.G.N. Renaud made his researches in the premises of the castle. From 1954 it has been in the property of local council. Visiting Kessel Castle is a beautiful stop on your journey of discovering Netherlands .
The ruin is located 17 km from Venlo in the direction to Roermond . From Eindhowen it is 50 km in the direction to Duisburg in Germany. From the North go onto Venlo, take A 73, turn onto N273 and close to Venlo continue onto Kessel Castle. From the South from Maastricht take A2, then onto N273. From the West take A6, turn onto N277. You can go by train to Venlo or Roermond and then by bus to Kessel Castle. Or take a ride on a small ferry from Bessel on the opposite bank of the Maas River.
Kessel Castle is open on weekends and holidays from Easter to October, 14.00 – 16.30.