|State Gallery in the High Castle||Castles||3km|
|Vilsegg Castle Ruins||Castles||8km|
The foundation of the castle dates back to the 12th century. The owners were changing quite often and its technical condition was getting worse until King Maximilian II gained the ruins in 1832 and had it rebuilt into a castle in the new-gothic style. The reconstruction was done by an architect and artist Domenico Quaglioni, in collaboration with architect Georg Friedrich Ziebland. After the death of Quaglioni, a Munich architect Joseph Ohlemüller took over the reconstruction. The rooms were decorated according to the design of a leading artist, Moritz von Schwindel. The Hohenschwangau Castle was then remodelled in its original shape.
In the interiors you can admire decorative elements from the Biedermeier period. The castle was used as a summer residence. Ludwig II spent there his youth. In 1865, Richard Wagner lived there for a while. The residence was also used by Maria of Bavaria, who lived there the last three years of her life. The castle is surrounded by a castle garden, which was established according to Peter Joseph Lenné´s projects. At present, Hohenschwangau Castle is administered by the Compensation Fund of the Wittelsbachs Family.