Green Gate was erected between 1564 and 1568. The design was inspired by the city hall in Belgian Antwerp . Green Gate was built as the residence of Polish kings so in many aspects Green Gate resembles a castle. In fact, it has never been the home to any of Polish kings. The name of the Green Gate originates from green stripes which originally decorated the facade. During the Second World War the Green Gate was damaged but it was successfully reconstructed.
At present, the building is used for collections administered by the National Museum in Gdansk . Besides exhibitions, it is used as a conference venue. In addition, it is a residential address of the office of Lech Walęsa, the former Polish president.