|Barbican and City´s Fortification Walls||Castles||5km|
The fortification of Warsaw comes from the period of the Russian rule. Fort Bema was built between 1886 and 1890. This fort resisted attacks by German troops at the beginning of the Second World War and it was successful until the capitulation of the Polish capital. At that time, German occupants set up weapon and ammunition storages in the premises. After the war, the building was used by the Polish army. At present, the premises are remodeled into an urban recreational park. New bridges over the moats and new pathways and cycling trails have been built. The reconstruction work in the interiors has not been completed yet and only a part of the premises is open to the public.