In the summer, the railway uses open cars, and during the winter the passengers can enjoy the ride in closed, wood-heated cars. The route branches near the Papírgyár stop. This second route is 12 km long, and passes two open-air schools, and transfers the passengers to the starting point of the forest paths.
The first train loaded with wood reached the Fás-kert railway station near the center of Miskolc in November 14, 1920. The Északerdo Zrt. Lillafüred State Scenic Railway was originally built to transfer the timber from the Bükk forest to the wood-mill. However, from 1923 the railway started to be used for passenger transport, too.
Nowadays, the Északerdo Zrt. Lillafüred State Scenic Railway is used only for passenger transportation. Due to the building of the Palotaszálló hotel in Lillafüred , two more than 100 m long tunnels had to be made. The wonderful scenery of the railway, the Mély-völgy viaduct over a 25 m deep valley and the arched bridge over the Hámori Lake are the main reasons of its popularity.
The attraction of the Északerdo Zrt. Lillafüred State Scenic Railway is strengthened by its beautiful surroundings, and other interesting sites. To mention a few: the Diósgyőr Castle , the Diósgyőr Paper-mill with its valuable gallery of industrial history, the Palotaszálló hotel, the country's biggest waterfall in Lillafüred, the dripstone and tufa caves, the Ottó Herman Memorial House, the Museum of Metallurgy, the Hámori Lake, the country's most important relic of industrial history - the "Fazola kohó" (an ancient furnace) , the forest fish friers - the Pisztrángtelep.
This scenic railway owns Hungary's only narrow-gauge steam locomotive. In 1929, at the time of the opening of Palotaszálló hotel, the world-known Hungarian GANZ factory released a world class railway car. Nowadays, this car can be seen in Budapest , at the Children's Railway. On 14 November 2010, on the 90. birthday of Északerdo Zrt. Lillafüred State Scenic Railway, the company set into operation a unique, hybrid locomotive. Its colours are the same as were the colours of the locomotive released in 1929.