The original Gothic Collegium Maius was built in the 15th century. At that time it was a part of the Royal Academy. The appearance of the Collegium Maius stayed unchanged until the mid-19th century, when it was rebuilt in the neo-Gothic style. Until 1940 the building was used as the university library.
The Collegium Maius was built mostly of brick, like almost the whole Krakow downtown. The prevailing style is the Gothic style. There are Gothic portals, gables and arcades. The entrance to the library is richly decorated and it is called Porta Aurea (Golden Door) .
The museum in Collegium Maius is proud of a huge collection of artifacts connected with the university. For example, there are aids and instruments used by Nicolaus Copernicus during his experiments. In addition, there is the Jagiellonian Globe (1507) , one of the first globes which featured the word America. It is worth to look around in the university rooms included in the tour around the museum as you will notice numerous interesting exhibits and period equipment.