The Checiny Castle was founded in the late 13th century. The impulse for its construction apparently came from the Krakow Bishop Jan Muskatęn. Immediately after its establishment, the Checiny Castle was so significant that congresses of the Polish nobility were held here. The ground plan copied the shape of the castle hill. The building consisted of a palace and two cylindrical towers. During the rebuilding in the 15th century, the Checiny Castle was extended by a lower castle and a high square tower. However in 1607, the Checiny Castle was conquered during the revolt of the local nobility, and it was damaged by a fire. With raids of the Swedish army came hand in hand the further destruction of the castle. The Checiny Castle was conquered for first time in 1657. Fifty years later, after the second Swedish raid, the Checiny Castle remained abandoned. The decaying ruins of the castle were secured only after World War II.
The Checiny Castle has been accessible to the public since the second half of the 20th century. Near the castle is one of the most beautiful caves in Poland - the Paradise Cave. Although the guided tour is only 180 m long, it leads through chambers and corridors with magnificent karst formations.