|Palaces and Parks of Potsdam||Castles||22km|
Charlottenburg Castle was built at the turn of the 17th and the 18th centuries in the Italian Baroque style. It was built on the order of Elector Friedrich III for his wife. The castle was used by the family until 1902, when it was changed into furniture store. At the end of the First World War there was a hospital. It was closed due to poor condition in 1926. During the Second World War, Charlottenburg Castle was almost in ruins. Fortunately, it was reconstructed after the year 1945.
Charlottenburg Castle has been the residence of the Art and History Museum with valuable collections of china and paintings, including collections of French painting of the 18th century. Around the castle, a beautiful baroque garden was developed. It is now used as a place to relax by the citizens of adjacent, densely populated areas.