|Chapel of St. Cross||3km|
|Lesser Town Prague||3km|
Originally the Benedictine friary was founded in the 10th century. First monks came with St.Adalbert from Rome, and the first abbot was his teacher Anastasius. In the 11th century, Abbot Meinhard , the founder of the monastery in Rajhrad , ordered to build a Romanesque basilica of St. Benedict and St. Adalbert. Under Abbot Bavor of Nectiny , monastery and the church were remodelled and since then the monastery was dedicated to St. Margaret. Abbot Bavor was the founder of the Benedictine monastery Broumov . In 1420 Brevnov Monastery was destroyed by the Hussites. The monks had to flee and they moved to the Benedictine monastery Broumov . The monastery at Břevnov was restored in the 16th century. The Baroque construction as we know it now was built between 1708 and 1745. In the 1930s , Brevnov Monastery was reformed by monks from the Belgian Chevetogne. In 1951 Brevnov Monastery was dissolved. Until 1990 it was used as Archives of the Interior Ministry. When Abbot Opasek was reinstalled into his previous position as the head of the monastery, the monastery and the church were repaired ( 1991-1993) , due to generous support from abroad, mainly by German monasteries. In 1997, the Pope John Paul II came for a visit to Brevnov Monastery. Brevnov Monastery was depicted on a postage stamp issued by the Czech Republic on 14 Aril 1993. The monastery is now open to the public. The Baroque Basilica of St. Margaret, the Romanesque crypt from the 11th century and the Baroque prelate with the Theresian Hall are available for guided tours,which lasts approximately 90 minutes. Opening hours depend on the season so it is recommendable to check the official website. Admission is 50 CZK for adults and CZK 30 for seniors and students. Minimum number for a group with a Czech guide is 10, for foreign tours it is 20 people.
The garden is open weekdays from 5:30 to 29:00 and from 17:00 to 20:30. At weekends it is open 5:30 to 20:30.